2015 is the UNESCO International Year of Light. UBC Department of Physics & Astronomy will be celebrating the Year of Light on Saturday, October 17 with a public lecture and lab tours. As a founding department of the University of British Columbia, this event will also be part of the department’s Centennial celebration.
What is light? From optical displays to quantum devices, where did light come from and where is it going?
- Lorne Whitehead – Optical displays: seeing is believing
- Harvey Richer – Light from the Universe
- Lukas Chrostowski – Using light for communications
- David Jones – The secret life of lasers
- Jeff Young – Quantum optical devices
- Selected labs in AMPEL (Advanced Material and Process Engineering Laboratory, 2355 East Mall) with light-related research topics will be open for public visits.