Learn about the many challenges of ship design in the 21st century, an engineering discipline with outstanding job opportunities worldwide. See why creating a modern ship is extremely challenging and rewarding.
Chris McKesson is an instructor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at UBC, and a former US representative at the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
Jon Mikkelsen is a professor of teaching and associate head in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at UBC, and is Director, Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering Program. He was awarded the Wighton Fellowship for innovation in undergraduate experiments, and is a Killam Teaching Prize recipient.
This One Day @ UBC Centennial Lecture is open to anyone 15 years of age or older.
UP900: Sat, Mar 19, 9:30am-12noon, UBC Point Grey campus. FREE. Space is limited.
One Day @ UBC Centennial Lectures
As part of the UBC Centennial celebrations, UBC Continuing Studies is offering 20 free lectures over 10 Saturdays at the UBC Point Grey campus from September 2015 through May 2016. These lectures are open to anyone 15 years of age or older.
UBC professors or postdoctoral fellows teach every session, and provide you with an opportunity to learn from and with some of the world-class researchers and scholars teaching at UBC. Choose a morning or afternoon session – or both – and consider spending the balance of your day exploring the campus museums and gardens, or enjoying a meal at one of UBC’s many eateries.
Space is limited. Preregistration recommended. Find out more.
- Living with Global China (Paul Evans)
- Nepal’s 2015 Earthquakes and Their Aftermath (Sara Shneiderman)
- Learning from “Super Agers”: What Centenarians Can Teach Us About Aging Well (Elizabeth Kelson)
- Optimizing Care for Older People Presenting to Hospitals (Roger Wong)
- Income Inequality in Canada and Abroad (Thomas Lemieux)
- Climate Change in the Context of Global Change (Hadi Dowlatabadi)
- Find Out How Well Your Child is Doing in School: Research-Based Tips and Strategies – Workshop (Sandra Mathison)
- Math for Kids and Parents – Workshop (Marina Milner-Bolotin)
- The Beginning of the Viking Age (Geoffrey Winthrop-Young)
- The World Hobbit Project (Ernest Mathijs)
Registration for Winter 2016 lectures opens November 30, 2015.
- Interactive Digital Media (Bob Pritchard)
- Ready-to-Wear Electronics (Peyman Servati)
- Defences in Canadian Criminal Law (Janine Benedet)
- Insect Jurisprudence (Renisa Mawani)
- Introduction to Ship Design (Chris McKesson, Jon Mikkelsen)
- From Airplanes to Water Striders: Everyday Fluid Dynamics (James J. Feng)
- The History of the English Language in One Day (Leslie Arnovick)
- Social Media: From the Personal to the Professional (Alfred Hermida)
- An Introduction to the Large-Scale Structure of Space and Time (Daniel Carney)
- The Evolution of Religion and Morality (Edward Slingerland)